What about WP Ultimate Recipe?
In 2013 we launched our first recipe plugin, WP Ultimate Recipe which was actually pretty popular, so it might seem confusing that we released another recipe plugin.
Why the new plugin?
A few structural choices we made early on caused WP Ultimate Recipe to be quite complex and not 100% compatible with all themes. With WP Recipe Maker we built the perfect recipe plugin from scratch, without all the baggage of years of development.
WP Recipe Maker was built from the ground up with all the things we learned from years of developing our other recipe plugin. We think the workflow is easier and the plugin should be more performant as well.
What's the difference with WP Ultimate Recipe?
WP Recipe Maker has pretty much all the features our old plugin had and more!
Some features do exist in WP Recipe Maker but will not migrate over from WP Ultimate Recipe because they were built differently:
- Meal Planner (now possible with Recipe Collections)
- Favourite Recipes (now possible with Recipe Collections)
- Templates built with the Template Editor (now a lot easier to use)
- Automatic Unit Conversion (still available but needs to be set up per recipe)
- Import/Export to XML (now uses a JSON format)
- Recipe Index (possible to partly recreate with WP Ultimate Post Grid)
- No taxonomy archive pages anymore (to prevent lots of duplicate content)
Taking note of these differences, we highly recommend you to switch to WP Recipe Maker for these reasons:
- Better performance, faster page loads
- More user friendly and overall easier to use
- A lot less compatibility problems with other themes and plugins
- Fully Gutenberg integrated
- Even more features than WP Ultimate Recipe
- It's the plugin we're focussing on for the future
How can I switch to WP Recipe Maker?
Migrating the recipes themselves is pretty much just the click of a button. Just make sure to set up an automatic redirect as shown in that documentation.
But I already paid for WP Ultimate Recipe Premium!
We offer a free Bundle of WP Recipe Maker and WP Ultimate Post Grid if you bought your WP Ultimate Recipe Premium license before June 13, 2019 and still have an active. Bought it after that date? We can still get you a discount for the new plugin.
Just contact us and ask.
Want to stay with WP Ultimate Recipe? No problem, we will still support that plugin for the foreseeable future but know that you won't get as many updates anymore and that WP Recipe Maker is the plugin we actually recommend.